Frequently Asked Questions
When can I apply?
The police administrative assistant accepts firearms license applications Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 3:45 pm.
Do I need to fill out an application in advance?
No. Applications are completed on-line at the station with the assistance of the police administrative assistant. There is no need to fill out an application in advance.
Do I need to bring pictures?
No. Photos are taken with a web cam that is part of the application process. There is no additional cost for pictures, and none need be supplied by the applicant.
How many trips to the police station will it take to get my LTC or FID Card?
Generally you should only need to make two trips to the police station. One to apply for your license and one to sign for it and pick it up when it comes in from the state. In some cases, an additional visit may be required if a background check indicates a problem with your license application.
How long will the process take?
The application time on your first visit takes about 15 minutes. The processing time then normally takes 4-6 weeks for to be complete. During this time, criminal background checks are done by the Lee Police Department based on the information you provide, and then by the state police using fingerprint files. A check is also done with the Department of Mental Health. Once all this information is obtained, it is forwarded to the state for final review by the Criminal History System Boards Firearms Support Services.
The administrative assistant will call you when your license arrives from the state. If your license application is denied, you will receive the denial in writing. Feel free to check with the administrative assistant on the status of your license application at any time.
What documentation do I need to apply for a LTC or FID Card?
- LTC applicants must be 21 at the time of the application. FID Card applicants must be 18 or between 15 and 18 must provide a letter from a parent or guardian granting permission to apply for an FID Card.
- Valid Massachusetts Driver's License or other proof of identification.
- Proof of residency (Listing in the most recent list of resident’s book or letter from the town clerk) or proprietor of a business in town.
- $100 Application Fee - Check or Money Order (Payable to Town of Lee). $25 Application Fee for Applicants under 18 and Applicants age 70 and over are free.
- Fingerprints required for first LTC or FID Card. Not required for renewals.
- Completion of an approved Massachusetts Basic Firearms Safety Course or a hunter safety course. Provide certificate of completion at time of application for first LTC or FID Card only.
Additional information and all forms can be found at the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Criminal History Systems Board, Firearms Records Bureau.